Thanks to JL for investigating this and identifying its origins. It was built in 1898 as a factory for Hollis & Son, furniture polish manufacturers. Grade II listed. Architectural description from the English Heritage site may be found below the fold (follow the 'read more' link).
"Factory. 1898 for Hollis & Son furniture polish manufacturers. Stock brick, with red brick and engineering brick dressings. Stone copings and cills. Pitched slate roof behind parapet. 3 storeys, 5 bays articulated by brick pilaster strips, the central bay breaking forward beneath gablet. Central part-glazed loading bay doors to upper 2 storeys; above, sunk timpanum of red brick beneath banded red, and engineering brick semi-circular arch. Similarly detailed blind oculus above. Ground floor with part glazed timber doors with small paned overlight. To left and right, at ground floor, similar small paned metal windows, with timber small paned windows below, part obscured. Upper storeys have small paned metal frame windows with stone cills, those to upper- most floor beneath iron lintels; ground floor and first floor windows below banded red and engineering brick arches. Red brick aprons. Sunk red brick panels set with parapet. Bands of red brick and engineering brick, some raised, and some continuing to returns. Upper storey iron gantry. Left hand gable stack. Restored ventilation cowls to ridge of roof. Rear elevation similar. Attached to front right, former stable, similarly but simply detailed. Plinth in engineering brick. Slate roof, behind brick coped gable and pediment. 2 storey road frontage with single ground floor tripartite window, flanked by small lights. Above, central loft door flanked by sashes, all beneath banded arches of red and engineering brick. Oculus above. Attached wall to left, and gate pier, pier having recessed brick panel and stone coping. Attached to front left, screen wall, similarly detailed with engineering brick plinth. Pierced by door with overlight, 4-pane window and later inserted door in patched walling. Gate post with sunk brick panel and stone coping. Wall linked to main building by rear single storey block."